99designs is a popular platform that gives you access to a vast pool of designers, but it often comes with a set of limitations and hidden costs. It can get expensive fast, especially for bespoke projects or those requiring experienced professionals.
Setting up design contests adds another layer of expense. While these contests offer exposure to many designers, quality becomes a gamble. Opting for one-on-one projects carries its own risk. You pay upfront, and revisions don’t always guarantee a satisfying outcome. This only gets you stuck with a design you dislike.
Customer service can also get tricky. You need to fill out lengthy forms and can often end up with unanswered emails and sluggish support teams.
Before settling for 99designs, explore what else lies out there. We’ve compared six 99designs competitors and added a quick table so you can see how they stack up.
6 Best 99designs alternatives in 2024
- Design Pickle
Growmodo is a subscription-based platform where you can get all your design, development, and automation needs met seamlessly and under one roof.
- Growmodo curates a talented pool of designers and developers for you, handpicked for their expertise and ability to deliver exceptional results.
- A dedicated project manager becomes your single point of contact, ensuring smooth collaboration and timely progress updates.
- Whether it's crafting conversion-focused UX/UI designs, breathing life into your video footage, or building a sleek website on WordPress or Shopify, Growmodo handles it all, leaving you free to focus on what you do best.
Growmodo is the perfect fit for:
- Creative agencies: Streamline your workflow and impress clients with consistent, high-quality design and development work.
- Marketing teams: Elevate your brand presence and achieve your marketing goals with expert design, video, and automation solutions.
- Scale-ups: Focus on growth and expansion while leaving your creative and technical needs in the hands of trusted professionals.
- UX/UI Design: From strategic wireframes and user-friendly layouts to visually stunning interfaces, our teams prioritize conversion and user experience with every click.
- Graphic Design: Crafting everything from brochures and social media graphics to packaging and landing page visuals.
- Video Editing & Motion Graphics: Transform your raw footage into polished masterpieces with Growmodo's video editing expertise. Our team can enhance quality, add sound effects, and incorporate captivating motion graphics to tell your story in a visually stunning way.
- Website & Landing Page Development: Whether you're launching a brand new website or revamping an existing one, we can help out. We can easily build your online presence on platforms like WordPress, Shopify, or Webflow, handling theme selection, plugin integration, and e-commerce setup.
- Website Maintenance: Growmodo ensures your website runs smoothly with content updates, security features, site speed optimization, and seamless payment integration.
- Automation Setup: Boost your efficiency and streamline operations with Growmodo's automation expertise. We’ll connect your digital tools, set up workflows, and design custom email marketing campaigns or chatbots to automate repetitive tasks and free up your valuable time.
But it doesn't stop there:
- Unlimited Design and Development Requests: With Growmodo, you get access to a limitless pool of creative and technical talent and project unlimited requests.
- Daily Progress Reports: Stay in the loop and track progress seamlessly with daily reports that keep you informed every step of the way.
- Scalable Solutions: Start small and scale your team as your needs evolve, ensuring you always have the right level of support.
If you’re in the middle of a website redesign project, check out our plan, and grab a free template.
Growmodo's transparent pricing starts at $1795/month. This gives you unlimited design and development requests, revisions, a dedicated project manager, and daily progress reports. No hidden costs, no surprises, just predictable value. You can always scale the number of designers working on your project request if you need more hands on deck.
Design Pickle is a subscription service that gives you unlimited access to a team of designers for a flat monthly fee. This can be a good option for businesses that need ongoing design work, such as social media graphics or website updates.
Best for businesses requiring a constant stream of design work, such as social media graphics, website updates, or marketing materials. Best for those who value predictable costs and consistent output.
Design Pickle Features/Services
- Unlimited design requests for a flat monthly fee.
- The Graphics Premium plan offers animation in addition to graphic design requests.
- Dedicated design team assigned to your account.
- Fast turnaround times for design projects.
- Less freedom and control over individual design projects.
- May not be cost-effective for businesses with infrequent design needs.
- Limited customization options compared to working with individual designers.
Design Pickle Pricing
Monthly Subscription: Offers unlimited design requests for a flat monthly fee.
- Graphics: $499/month for basic design needs and 1-2 day turnaround.
- Graphics Pro: $995/month for designated designers, same-day turnaround, and more.
- Graphics Premium: $1,695/month for motion graphics and Canva file delivery.
Kimp is a subscription service that gives you unlimited access to a team of designers.You have a dedicated team creating fresh and trendy visuals. However, Kimp focuses on social media graphics, making it a good option for businesses that need a constant stream of fresh visuals for their social media.
Best for businesses heavily reliant on social media engagement and marketing. Ideal for those who need a consistent flow of high-quality social media graphics.
- Unlimited graphics for a flat monthly fee.
- Dedicated team of social media design experts.
- Constant stream of fresh and trendy visuals for your brand.
- No contract, cancel anytime.
- Unlimited team members.
- Limited to social media graphics, not suitable for other design needs.
- Less customization options compared to working with individual designers.
- May not be the best fit for brands with unique or specific visual styles.
Monthly Subscription: Like Design Pickle, Kimp offers unlimited social media graphics for a fixed monthly fee.
- Graphics: $599/month ($299.50 for the first 2 months).
- Video: $699/month ($349.50 for the first 2 months).
- Graphics + Video: $995/month ($497.50 for the first 2 months).
Best for budget-conscious businesses
Fiverr is a freelance marketplace where you can find designers for all sorts of projects, from logos and websites to illustrations and infographics. You can browse portfolios and set your own budget, making it a great option for finding custom design work. Pricing can be per hour, fixed-price package, or even custom quotes.
Best for businesses or individuals seeking flexibility and control over their design projects. Suitable for diverse needs, from logo design and social media graphics to website development and marketing materials.
- Big freelance marketplace with designers of all skill levels and budgets.
- Browse portfolios and directly hire designers for specific projects.
- Flexible pricing options, from hourly rates to fixed-price packages.
- Secure payment system and escrow protection for peace of mind.
- Quality can vary greatly depending on the chosen designer.
- Need to spend time vetting portfolios and communicating project details.
- Can be more expensive than some crowdsourcing platforms for complex projects.
It’s free to create a profile on the platform and search for designers. Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect to pay for projects.
- Hourly Rates: Freelance designers on Fiverr set their own hourly rates, with a wide range starting as low as $5 per hour and reaching upwards of $200+ per hour. The average hourly rate on Fiverr can fall anywhere between $20 and $50.
- Fixed-Price Packages: Many designers offer pre-packaged services at fixed prices, usually categorized by complexity and deliverables. Expect basic graphic design packages to start around $10-$20, while more intricate projects like logo design or website development could range from $100 to $500+ or even higher.
Upwork functions as a freelancer hub with a larger pool of experienced designers with diverse skill sets. You can post project details and receive proposals from qualified designers, compare profiles and reviews, and manage projects securely. Upwork can be a good option for finding high-quality design work, but it can also be more expensive than some of the other options on this list.
Best for businesses or individuals needing high-quality design work and project management tools. Suitable for complex projects requiring ongoing collaboration, branding initiatives, or specialized expertise.
- Renowned freelance platform with a large pool of experienced designers.
- Post projects and receive proposals from qualified designers.
- Detailed profiles and client reviews help assess designer skills.
- Secure payment system and project management tools.
- Highly competitive platform, making it challenging for smaller projects to stand out.
- Higher project costs compared to some alternatives.
- Can be time-consuming to manage projects and provide feedback.
This is also a free platform, there are no entry fees. Here are the prices you can expect.
- Hourly Rates: Similar to Fiverr, Upwork freelancers set their own hourly rates, starting at around $10 per hour and climbing above $200+ per hour for top-tier professionals. The average hourly rate on Upwork typically falls between $30 and $70.
- Fixed-Price Projects: You can post projects with fixed budgets on Upwork and receive proposals from qualified designers. Project costs vary greatly depending on complexity, duration, and designer expertise. Basic graphic design jobs might start around $50-$100, while elaborate projects like e-commerce website development could range from $1,000 to $5,000+.
Primarily a crowdsourcing platform, DesignCrowd pits designers against each other in contests for your project. You post a brief and budget, designers submit their ideas, and you choose the winner. DesignCrowd tends to be more affordable than 99designs, making it a good option for small businesses or startups.
It’s best for businesses or individuals needing budget-friendly design work with a good selection of options. Ideal for one-off projects like logos, brochures, or basic website design.
- Similar crowdsourcing model to 99designs, offering design contests for logos, websites, packaging, and more.
- More budget-friendly than 99designs, with contest pricing starting at lower rates.
- Large designer pool, ensuring a variety of design styles to choose from.
- Dedicated account manager for personalized support.
- Contest format can lead to inconsistent quality, with the winning design not always being the best fit.
- Can be time-consuming to run contests and provide feedback.
- Limited revisions included in most packages.
It’s free to create a profile and it costs between $69.00 and $779.00 to post a design project. This depends on the design service and your selected package. You can also choose add-ons during the project posting process.
- Direct Hire: You can also directly hire designers at hourly rates or negotiate fixed-price packages. Costs vary based on designer experience and project complexity.
- Starting range: As low as $15-$20 per hour for entry-level or less experienced designers.
- Average range: Around $30-$60 per hour for designers with mid-level experience and skill sets.
- Top-tier range: Exceeding $75-$100 per hour for highly experienced and specialized designers.
Why you should consider subscription-based platforms?
Subscription-based design platforms like Growmodo can offer several advantages over traditional freelance marketplaces when it comes to finding designers, especially for businesses with ongoing design needs:
1. Consistency and Efficiency:
- Dedicated team: You get a dedicated team of designers who understand your brand and style, ensuring consistency across all your design projects.
- Faster turnaround times: With a dedicated team, you can expect faster turnaround times for design requests, keeping your projects moving smoothly.
- Streamlined workflow: Subscription platforms often offer project management tools and communication channels, making collaboration with your design team seamless and efficient.
2. Predictable Costs and Budgeting:
- Fixed monthly fee: You know exactly how much you'll spend on design each month, making budgeting easier and avoiding unexpected costs.
- No per-project fees: You can request as many design revisions or projects as you need within your subscription plan, eliminating the need to negotiate fees for each project.
- Transparency and control: You have clear visibility into your design budget and can track project progress and resource allocation.
3. Quality and Expertise:
- Vetted designers: Subscription platforms typically have a rigorous vetting process for their designers, ensuring you get access to experienced and qualified professionals.
- Specialized skills: Many platforms offer designers with expertise in specific areas, like e-commerce, social media, or branding, catering to your unique needs.
- Continuous learning and improvement: Subscription platforms often invest in training and development for their designers, ensuring they stay up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices.
4. Scalability and Flexibility:
- Easy to scale up or down: As your design needs grow or shrink, you can easily adjust your subscription plan to accommodate your workload.
- On-demand support: You have access to dedicated support teams who can answer your questions and help you navigate the platform.
- Reduced administrative burden: You don't have to manage contracts, invoices, or payments for individual projects, saving you time and effort.
What is the best 99Designs alternative?
If you have ongoing design requirements, need unlimited graphic design services, value consistency, efficiency, and predictable costs, subscription platforms can be a valuable solution. However, if you need more flexibility in choosing designers or have a limited budget, traditional freelance marketplaces might be a better fit.
Get started with Growmodo
Growmodo offers a one-stop solution for all your design and development needs. Expert teams, seamless communication, and unlimited requests. We offer:
- Fast Hiring in 24-48 Hrs: Add team members with a click of a button.
- Rigorously Vetted Experts: We find, manage & keep training the best talents we can find.
- Fully-Managed Teams: Your dedicated PM matches you with the right team members.
- Daily Progress Reports: Stay in the loop on everything we worked on and completed for you.
Book your free consultation with Growmodo today and let’s see how we can turn your design dreams into reality. No strings attached, just expert advice.